Roots of Engineering Excellence
Although Gunma University was only established in 1949, the engineering, education and medical faculties that amalgamated to form the university date back to the beginning of the 20th century. The Faculty of Engineering’s Kiryu location is a reflection of its roots as a school to educate the craftsmen needed for the textile industry that flourished in Kiryu at the time. The Kiryu School of Textiles was established in 1915. Later it expanded and the name was changed in 1920 to the Kiryu School of Technology. In 1944, the school became the Kiryu College of Technology on its promotion to college status. Finally, it joined with the medical and education colleges located in Maebashi to form Gunma University in 1949.